Wednesday, December 9, 2015

It's Aliiiiiive!

Alternative Title: The Biochemistry Saga


I apologize for my absence, everyone. This semester kicked my little nurse butt like no other semester has. I finally transitioned to the major university where I had been taking my online RN-BSN classes. I had Biochemistry and Physics on top of my nursing classes for a total of 13 credits. I dropped down to part-time at work, since school now demanded I come in five days a week.


It was hell. I got a whopping 76 and 68 on my first two exams. My confidence plummeted and I was ready to drop the class. I went to my professor (who was a brilliant, callous, terrifying man), prepared for him to agree with me. To my utter surprise, he told me not to do it. He said there was no reason for me to and gave me advice on how to prepare better for the exams.


I was skeptical but I let the Drop deadline pass with my fiancé's blessing. "Just get a B," he said. "You can do that."


The next exam had my nerves on overdrive for days after taking it. It wasn't until the result was released that I found myself able to breathe again. I had gotten a 96 which meant I only made one mistake in the entire exam! Suddenly, my barely-a-C- was a solid B and a shy sliver of hope and confidence lodged itself into my chest. I knew that a single A would not do. It might have been a fluke, afterall. It was an anomaly, an outlier in my depressing Biochemistry grade statistics.


My fourth exam came around and I was sure I bombed it. There was no way I was going to recreate the miracle of the previous test. Oh, how wrong I was. The result came out: another freaking 96! At this point, I was beginning to feel redeemed. I had dragged my pathetic almost-D to an A-. In what world was that even possible?!


Last exam. I went in ready for this semester to be over. I knew I couldn't hope for a result high enough to keep my A-, but it would take a grade below 70 to bring me down to a C+. I was content to not stress myself out by aiming for an A. I would get a B in the exam, a B+ in the class, and just count myself lucky I survived the semester.


Today, my professor finally posted the final exam grade. Half-asleep and just acting out of habit, I check the online campus and almost jump out of bed, startling both my cats and the sleeping doctor beside me. "Baby, I got a hundred! I got a hundred on my finals!"


"What?" Even my fiancé thought I must be imagining things. "That's impossible."


"No, look!"


"Wow." He kisses me on the cheek and hugs me tightly. "You did the impossible," said the most pragmatic, most straight-forward, most realistic man I had ever met who had never over-exaggerated anything in his entire life.


So now, for the first time in months, I actually feel good about this journey again. Maybe I can do this. Maybe I wasn't quite as out of my element as I thought I was. Looking back, I am so glad I did not drop the class. It was hell trying to climb out of the grade hole, but now my confidence has received a much needed boost. It is so boosted, in fact, that I finally registered for the MCAT just now. I can't believe I am at this point of the process now. In a few more months, I'll be starting the application process. Jeez.


--


ANYWAY, now that that's out of the way... I got engaged, guys! The boy popped the question and we're getting married in a month. It's going to be a crazy, Game of Thrones themed extravaganza in this grand, old property that looks like it's been pulled straight out of George R.R. Martin's books. I am so excited! The ballroom has this amazing staircase that I cannot wait to take pictures on.


Also, we did engagement photos. I brought Orcrist with me. It was epic. :D Hope you guys have a wonderful winter break!

No comments:

Post a Comment